Sunday, March 15, 2015

National Symbols


Need some ideas for your national symbols unit?  You have come to the right blog! I have compiled  some great resources to breathe new life into your national symbols unit.


When I begin teaching about national symbols the first thing I do is go over what a symbol is. I introduce the word "symbol" by passing around a heart and a four leaf clover to get them to start thinking about what each means.  When I start to hear chatter I know it's time for a think-pair- share otherwise known to my class as a turn and talk.  Giving the kids ample opportunities to discuss their thoughts with another child is a powerful way for them to make connections.  This short activity helped introduce the definition of a symbol.
I created this simple anchor chart to introduce some of the national symbols they would be learning about.  The first time the kids see this chart there isn't any pictures on it.  I glue each picture onto the chart telling them a little about each.  We also have our map out to discuss where each of these national symbols are located.
One amazing resource I purchased this year is the American Symbols Chit Chat Messages by Deanna Jump.  You can find them here.  I loved the books that you make for each of the national symbols pictured above. They contained good information that sparked their curiosity.

I added their new learning about each national symbol to this chart.  This resource is called America Math and Literacy Fun by Deanna Jump. You can find it here.

My kinders made American flags.  They turned out so cute! 




My class learned the Star Spangled Banner and The Grand Old Flag.

In the district I work in we are teaching Common Core Standards but our report cards have not yet caught up to that, so I'm still teaching coins in kindergarten.  I started out by giving my class time to explore each coin with a good old fashion coin rubbing activity. You can find this activity here.

My class learned about the presidents on each coin.


I made these anchor charts while I introduced each coin. 

I came across this amazing product from Jessica Travis it has many different coin activities to choose from.   My class made the adorable hats and the wallet for practicing identification.  You can find this product here.  The All About a Penny, Nickel, Dime and Quarter books can be found here.


My class liked this YouTube movie called Money, Money, Money.  We also watched a BrainPop Jr.  movie about coins.

I found these President flash cards in the dollar bins at Target! 


This YouTube movie about the Presidents was great for Kindergarten.

We wrote a class report about the national symbols.  This from Deanna Jump's American Math And Literacy Fun unit.
              





While learning about the Bald Eagle we were able to watch this Bald Eagle Live Cam from Pennsylvania.  We are still checking in everyday to see if the eggs have hatched.

We learned about the symbols of the state we live in.  I got the idea for this anchor chart from The First Grade Parade you can check it out here.
I have 10 learning centers in my class weekly and this week was all about our national symbols. These four in particular my class loved.
1. Deedee Wills  -Super Sentences here
2. Caitlin Clabby - February Word Work here
3. Deedee Wills - Writing Work Stations for February here
3. Maria Manore - Color by Number George Washington  here


Lastly, I found this American Symbols Interactive Pocket Chart Game from Growing Kinders find it here

If you want a convenient way to get my regular updates follow me on Bloglovin'!
Have a great day!















0 comments:

Post a Comment