Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Experimenting with Solid Figures

Hi friends!  I'm sorry that I have been M.I.A. for the last week but to be perfectly honest, I had a good excuse!  Last week was my spring break and I promised myself I would not think or do anything work related.   WHY is that so hard to do?  



My class has been learning all about solid figures.  There was one particular question that had been weighing on our minds and that is, "What solid figures slide, stack, and roll?"  It's a great question right?  In order to find the answer my kinders performed an experiment (This activity came from KIndergarten Kindergarten).  Take a look ... 

  I paired up the kinders in groups of two.  Each group had their own set of solid figures.




They recorded their findings on this worksheet that was from Kindergarten Kindergarten.




Here are some pictures of the experiment in progress.

These two scientists experimented with different solid figures to see which ones could roll.  


This scientist experimented with solid figures to see which ones could slide. 




My last group of scientists stacked their solid figures.



The results were staggering! 


I would suggest trying this hands on activity with your class.  It kept them engaged for quite a while.  







1 comments:

Mrs. Tolbert said...

This looks great! Your kiddos look so engaged. I am your newest follower. Come by for a visit when you get a chance!
~Jada
Daisy Days for Learning

Post a Comment