Tuesday, March 20, 2012

BoardMath

Check this out....


Have you ever heard of BoardMath?  It is a great way to introduce, reteach, and challenge your class.  My board is divided into columns.  Each one represents one of the 5 math strands (Number Sense, Algebra and Functions, Measurement and Geometry, Statistics / Probability, and Mathematical Reasoning).  I use the standards to create questions for the board.  Ideally there should be at least 3 questions in each column.  I teach BoardMath about 5-10 minutes each day (kinders can't handle any more than that).  One more thing..... the class answers chorally.  They do not use any paper or pencils.   All teachers at the school that I work at teach BoardMath.  We have found that it is extremely helpful with the mastery of skills.  

3 comments:

Heather's Heart said...

I would love to hear more about this...especially, how you know whether some kiddos get it or just very quick to parrot an answer.

Your blog looks so cute. I would love to follow you but cannot find your follower button. =(

I'll stop back by! =)

I would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance.

Heather
Heather's Heart

Miss H said...

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by. As for your question.... BoardMath is designed to be a tool teachers can use to frontload, review, and reteach standards. There are many ways you can check for understanding one that I use is to have the children show me the answer by using their hands ( if the answer is two they hold up two fingers etc.) I taught them to put their hand on their chest when showing me their answer. Also, a great way to keep their interest, and check for understanding with specific individuals is to get a beanbag and a bucket. Give the beanbag to a child, and when they answer the question they get to try to make a basket. I hope this answered your question :)

Unknown said...

Is there a format or a book to help guide to begin using BoardMath?

Post a Comment