Sunday, March 5, 2017

Learning about the forest


Hello Everyone! During the beginning of the school year my Kindergarten class learned about the forest.  I was so excited to teach them about the forest life especially because we live in one! It's important for them to learn about what type of forest we live, as well as the plants and animals that call it home.  Check it out...

If you have read my blog before than you probably recognize this anchor chart. I use this format when I start teaching a new thematic unit.  I start out by recording their schema, and as new information is learned it is added to the chart.  


Looking for some great forest literature? Here are some of my favorite fiction/ non fiction books. Two of the books pictured above are from Kristen Smith's Discovering Forests  pack.  You can find it here.

We used this sort to learn about living and non living things.  As I mentioned above Kristen Smith's Forest pack has so many amazing resources (including this sort) that perfectly complimented what I already had planned.  


                           After learning about living and non living things we made this chart.  You can find it here.


My students learned about coniferous and deciduous trees and how to spot them in our forest.  


With all our new learning we went on a walk in the forest. Our purpose was to collect leaves, pine needles and pine cones to bring back to our classroom to take a closer look at. 


Everything the class collected was put into a center for them to inspect.  


We also learned about some of the animals that call our forest home.  



We sketched our favorite leaves.  


After our walk in the forest I had my class write about what they saw.  This unit was taught in early October when many of my kids were in the beginning stages of writing.  




Thank you so much for stopping by! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment